Winter Tips for Your Roof
Feb 01, 2016
Winter Tips for your Roof
Correcting problem areas as they arise will save you money in the long run.
Whether you are a homeowner or business owner, it is important to inspect your property on a regular basis. And, with the winter weather upon us, it is especially important to catch and correct small issues before they become big and expensive issues.
Many of these inspections you can do yourself. A thorough inspection is best performed by a professional roofing contractor.
Here are some tips for a warm, leak-free winter:
- After a snowfall or heavy frost, are there bare spots on your rooftop indicating areas of heat loss? This could be an easy fix with an attic inspection, checking for adequate insulation and proper venting.
- Are the flashings around your chimney pulling away?
- Do the seals around any ventilation pipes appear to be cracked or missing?
- Do you have icicles hanging from your roof? Icicles are an indicator of improper ventilation in your attic space, and will lead to ice damming and leaks if not corrected.
- If you have a shingle roof, do they appear to be curling or lifting? Most shingle roofs will only last 10-15 years before needing to be replaced or at least repaired. Ask us about Lifetime Roofing Options so you never have to think about your roof again!
- On your flat commercial roof, are your drains cleared from blockage to avoid ponding and extra weight? This is a simple, but important fix. Learn more about Ledegar's commercial maintenance program. A regular inspection can lower repair costs and prevent costly down time.
- On your metal roof, are your snow guards adequate and in place? This can be a huge liability issue, as well as a potential hazard to your guests and customers, which can be easily avoided.
- Is your building in an area that received hail damage in the past few years?
- After a heavy snowfall, it is best to remove the extra weight of snow from your roof. Although you could do this yourself with snow rakes on a single level building, it is best to call in the experts for multi-level homes or larger buildings. Ledegar's snow removal teams are fast and always fully insured.
Contact us to set up an appointment to learn more.
Ledegar Roofing has been providing quality, expert roofing services since 1908.